Thursday, April 5, 2012

American Idol Week 5 - Keytar Hero

Last night Jimmy and friends introduced the songs of the 80's to the American Idol contestants who were born in the 90s.  It was an interesting night as the 80s, for me, is a time of wacky outfits, big hair, and strange songs with crazy addicting choruses.  I saw or heard none of this.  The only person who seem to dressed for the occassion was Randy as he sported, what looked like, the shirt that the clown doll wor
e in Poltergeist.  Nobody seemed to know any of these songs except the dinosaur Elise, whom, i believe, will be moving back to Joizey real soon with her family. 






We got a glimpse of Randy from the 80s which basically looked like Randy today with a wig on.  I mean he dresses exactly the same. 






Jimmy's friends this week were No Doubt's Gwen Stefani and Tony Kanal. It was nice to see a mature and still beautiful Gwen mentor the contestants this week.  I'm surprised Randy didnt make a mention about him "working with" them before.  Christ on a pony.. give it up Randy. Nobody cares!!


It was totally boss to see the KeyTar making its comeback along with the skinny newspaper tie.  The 80's were totally awesome dude!




The Singing.. 

Deandre led the pack and sang I Like It by DeBarge.  I must say i am completely BrackenSick of this guy..  Like what i did there.. BUT.. he pulled it off this week.  Last week it sounded like a bunch of cats fighting in an echoey alleyway.  This week it sounded much better. He had more control and he looked ALOT more confident. He still did his Adam Lambert scream towards the end but other than that it was good.  My grade B




Elise sang Foreigner's I Want to Know What Love Is but I didnt want her to show me.  She was all over the place.  It was all out of key with pitch problems. I didnt like it.  She should have sang JukeBox Hero. That would have been great.  This song is slowww and boring.  Just sing I want to know what love is, i want you to show me 16 times in a row and you got this song!  The audience was waving their arms like they were at a Naughty by Nature concert!   My grade C




Then we had our delightful first duet.  Already a boo in my mind.  Greatest duet in Idol history... Lee Dewyze and Crystal Bowersox singing Falling Slowly.  Nothing comes close, imo.  Got "goosies" thinking of it.  The first duet was Colton and Skyler singing Islands in the Stream. This song blows. The only good thing is the chorus which they sing for 25 minutes.  I didnt think the 2 sounded that great together.  


Dammmm.. are Colton and Skyler fucking???  Apparently, there are rumors out there as they had to tell the audience that they are not.  Why is dannybart.com not on this exclusive!??


This is a real duet...


^^^DAMMMMMMM

Next up, Phillip sang Thats All by Genesis.  Good Lord was that a terrible session he had with Jimmy and friends.  He sounded like Nick Nolte yelling while driving drunk.  Was this foreshadowing to whats to come. For me, YES!  I thought his song was horrendous.  The guy cant sing a high note without shouting.  Musically he is fantastic.  But singing I just don't get him. I decided to sing along with him.. "its just a shame that's all".
Gwen recommended that he stop and put down the guitar and connect with the audience at a point in the song.  When he did this,  I screamed away in terror, as he had such an angry face like he was just told he had Herpes! By the way, this is the second song he sang by Phill Collins.  Phillip Phillips is really Philling Phill huh?  My grade  C


Randy holds a sign up that says "Obsessed with Seacrest" but its upside down..what a fucking tool!




Next Duet - Deandre and Holly sang I'm So Excited by the Pointer Sisters.  I was anything but excited. Hollie looked frightened. Perhaps, it was Deandre's hair. I don't know.  She did a decent job but Deandre just sounded flat.  Terrible pairing.  They are starting to slut up Hollie with her outfits.  She went from dressing like a little girl to a 40 year old to now a slut with her 12 inch stilettos. 


Side note - At this point in the show i was expecting randy to pull out a balloon and make an animal with that terrible outfit he was sporting.




Josh sang If You Dont Know Be By Now. It was fantastic on so many levels.  This guy is really really growing on me.  I think he may be top 5.  I thought for sure he was going to be another Jacob Lusk but he has certainly proved himself to be a very good singer.  He's like a young Wilson Pickett.  Love it. I feel like sitting on my porch sipping some whiskey thinking about the yesteryears while listening to him sing.  My grade A+


Jessica sang How Will I Know by Whitney.  Well i can say this,  it definetely wasnt I Will Always Love You - esque.. but it was good.  She sang it very well but this type of song there is really not much to say other than she sang it well.  It doesn't have any ooh ahh moments to it.  Sometime on this show she developed an alter ego?  Bebe Chezz?  Just stay 16 or however old you are.  What are you doing.  Alter ego's dont work. Look at what happened to Nikki Minaj.  Jess's alter ego is said to be the wild and party girl.  Great.. so when she becomes a total slut she can just blame ol' Bebe for this!  Nicely played.  




Bebe was the only person to really dress like she was in the 80s although this look is popular now so what do i know.  My grade A


Side Note - Randy name dropped ...agan... saying that he worked on that album wth whitney.  Enough already dog. 


Duet - Phillip and Elise duet - I fast forwarded.  While Phillip was moving very fast he was doing his siezure act when trying to his those high notes. It was pretty comical. 


Hollie sang What a Feeling from the movie Flashdance.  I had a feeling alright.  A nauseous feeling.  She sounded like a pitchy cruise ship singer.  It was all over the place.  Where is Simon when we need him!  He would have torn her a new asshole with that version.  I think this girl needs a new alter ego like Bebe.  Right now her alter ego, shit, is not working. Pick up the pace girl!!!  My grade C






Colton sang Time After Time by Cindi Lauper. It was freaking great. I wasn't expecting it to sound as good as it did.  I posted on Facebook last night that i threw my bra at the screen after he was done singing.  Well, it wasn't my bra but it was my wife beater.. sorry guinea tee.. sorry..christ i dont know you call them.. tank top?  Anyways, the version was great.  I give him ALOT of props for giving the artist credit for that version he sang.  That was cool.  David Cook sang Billy Jean a couple years ago.  He did his "own" version. No.. it was actually Chris Cornell's version but he totally didn't say anything or give the guy props.. Boooo.. My grade A


WTF is the correct name for this?   No not hot body.. i mean the shirt! 


Skyler finished it off with Wind Beneath My Wings. I've learned something about country music.  You can take any power ballad, slow it down, add a country twang to it and it will sound awesome.  That's exactly what she did and it worked.  I wouldn't say best of the night like everyone is saying but it was really really good. My grade A


Top 3 

Josh
Colton
Skyler


honorable mention - Deandre


Bottom 3

Elise
Hollie
Phillip - sorry fan boys




Up next, Results show.. 



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...