Wednesday, February 29, 2012

American Idol season 11 - Top 12 men w/ 1 bad surprise

American Idol.  A show devoted to young talent trying to get a job and make it in the real world.  What was once an inspiring show is now becoming irrelevant as the talent who wins the crown is getting trumped by the talent who didnt win the show.  They should change the name to American Popularity Contest as the most popular or best looking or best story is the person who wins.

My wife and i have been watching this since season 2.. ok she watched season 1 and i made fun of it saying i would never ever watch this gay* show (*not gay as in homosexual).  Season 2 came along and i was hooked.  We have our own little "contest" in which we pick our top 12 finalists and choose them in teh order they will be voted off.  Winner has to do..well we keep that part private.  This year the rules will be changing a bit.  I will be writing up the new rules this year as well as a new point system. Yes.. we take this serious.  So be on the lookout later for the "official American Idol" contest rules blog a bit later today.



Regardless of the absence of Simon Cowell, the show does sorta still work.  The judges, however, at this point are more or less just a support team now for the singer.  When Simon was aboard you actually couldnt wait to hear what he had to say because he was the most real and honest.  After last nights Top 12 men singing i can surely say that the judges are NOT their to judge anymore.  There were some REAL stinkers and i didnt hear one negative thing being said from the judges.  Booo..

First up.. the judges..
Randy was dressed up like he doing a Connect the Dot / Water by Numbers book shoot. Did you see that outfit. Good gravy.  Stick with the cardigans dog.

JLo decided to actually wear a dress that fit her.  I like that Steven and Ryan both poked fun at this. I am wondering if the producers told them not to say anything about it. Regardless it was funny.

Steven is a character.  Last season he was filled of strange quotes like "you can bring a chicken to a card game but dont expect the egg to hatch" or "the lights are out and you are on" or "stick and stones break bones but your singing chops takes the cake". Ok so i made all those up but you catch my drift.  His only "Steven quote" last night was " im confused as a baby in a topless bar" <--- so are we Steven.
Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Now the singers.. I will add my little critiques and some dumb comments. Feel free to comment below.  BTW.. since the judges liked EVERYONE i am not even going to bother to comment with what they told the contestants.


Reed  sang "Moves Like Jagger" and it was very very wierd.  I can say this, he certainly does not have moves like Jagger.. but then again Jagger basically just runs all around the stage like an idiot so maybe he does. I felt the song was boring.  I didnt like his jazzy rendition.  Did he think he was Animal from the Muppets when he went over and just starting banging drums in teh middle of the song. We get it. It worked the last time but are you going to do this now every song.  He seriously reminded me of a bad dream that i couldnt wake up from. He reminds me of a bird. I dont know why.



Adam?
Adam sang Think from Aretha Franklin. I thought he did a really good job and is already a front runner for me.  His voice sounded great and made it look really easy.  He looks like he can a 48 year old Danny Gokey. What was up with the orange hanky in his pocket. Is that the cloth that Steven Tyler wiped his sweat with..gewwww..



yes.. God is great
Deandre sang Reasons by Earth Wind and Fire.  I thought this was one of the worst performance of the nights. I just didnt get it. The judges of course loved it as did the audience but i thought it sounded like a bunch of cats whining in an alleyway.  I think some of my glasses in my house broke when he was getting to the high registers.  I can say that he definetly got his hair from his mom and he looks identical to his sister as does his voice.  He totally looks like Joan Osbourne.



Colton sang Paramore's Decode.  I gotta say, i like this dude. He has cool hair and a cool look.  He also has a great voice.  I thought he sounded a bit like Muse at some points.  His voice wasnt that strong and unfortunately at times was overrided by the music but overall he did a great job.





Jeremy sang Gravity from Sara Bareilles.  I dont know the song but it was nice. He has a very nice voice.  My irrelevant ass would like to hear him sing something from 112 (because they are current today). He sounds lke a lot of R&B artists and this is unfortunate.  Not so unique but still great voice.  He totally looks like he can be Manny's,  from Modern Family, older brother. Randy makes some dumb joke and i was totally thinking they should have one of those long hooks from the Bugs Bunny cartoons when somebody is bombing to hook him off the stage.


Aaron sang  Jackson 5 Never Can Say Goodbye.  I thought there were some pitchy spots, especially in the beginning.  His high ranges sound nice.  The ending was fantastic. How old is this guy by the way. Did Arsenio Hall dress up and audition. He totally looks like him. Ok well maybe a little.






Chase is a country singer booooo. I dont know what he sang and i dont care.  It all sounds the same to me. Sorry but i am biased as i am an urban boy son! During his video he says he loves his horses and his dogs. He always loves Jesus and America too.







Creighton sang Cyndi Lauper's True Colors.  Thought he did a great job.  The judges spoke to him though as if he was alreayd going home. Weird.  Creighton Fraker sounds like a bad guy from a Die Hard movie. Is he the token white gay guy on the show? Very Adam Laber-esque.







Philip Phillips - first off wtf is up with that name?!  Let me guess what his middle name is.. Phil?  His parents LOVE the name Phillip.  And then to top it off, he sings a song by, you guessed it, Phill Collins!  I was totally Phillin it.  His voice has a nice Phil to it.  Is he from Philly?  I can Phil it coming in the air tonight.. oh lord. I liked the way he changed the song up. I was totally Phillin it. K im done.






Eban - 1 thing is clear as day, he hasn't gone through puberty yet.  So this adolescence decides to take on Adele's Set Fire to the Rain.  What on earth was he thinking?  It was horrendous. It sounded like a 15 year at a karaoke bar was singing it. It was so out of key that the musicians didnt know how to keep up with him as they changed keys.  Somehow though, the audience LOVED him.  He's adorable but maybe more for Toddlers and Tiaras.




Heejune is one of my favorites.  His dry humor is hysterical and he really is a great singer as well.  He sang Angels by i think Robbie Williams..someone correct me if im wrong.  He sounded really good. I agreed with the judges..finally.. that it wasnt the greatest song choice. But it certainly did show more of his range. I felt the music was a bit too loud for his soft voice.  Overall it was very good though. JLo says his voice is "as smooth as silk" and "there's no denying you can blow".  Good Lordiee.. im not even sure what to do with that comment.


Josh sang Jennifer Hudson's You Pulled Me Through.  I dont know the song but i thought he did a good job.  Is he this years new Jacob?  He has a great voice and is battling Creighton for Team lead token gay guy. Randy, by the way, was totally having siezures when listening. JLo - said it was amazing and sounded like a voice from another world.  okkaaay




Jermaine?

Then American Idol did some stupid surprise contestant that the judges brought back.  It was some very tall, very big black man named Jermaine Jones.   He looked like Echo from Lost.  Or John Coffee from Green Mile.  Or Justin Tuck.  Anyways, he was the one who sang a duet with the hated cowboy.  He has a very very low bass voice. He sings like he 4 testicles.  I wasnt that big a fan.
some tall black dude..
Jermaine?
Jermaine?



I will be posting who i think my top 12 tomorrow before the reveal.  I will also be posting the official American Idol Contest rules a bit later.   Play along if you like.. yes.. i am a dork.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...