Thursday, April 12, 2012

American Idol Week 6 - Kiss my auto-tuned ass

Last night Jimmy and friends had Akon as a guest mentor.  The guy said literally 3 words and when he did it was autotuned.  Akon is a great singer BUT.. i believe i have only ever heard him sing in auto-tune. Therefore, how can he mentor a singing show when his singing is auto-corrected.  {scratching my head}


When the show started I thought somebody died; like a contestant or maybe even one of the judges. Then i realized, no, they were just recapping Deandre getting the boot.  Oh my the drama.  They show Deandre's peoples at some Hooters and their reaction when he got kicked off. I could have swore I saw a couple people cheering wearing Team Colton shirts but who i am to judge.  


The judges are introduced and we see JLo wearing a dress that looked like it was handled by Edward
Scissorhands.  She must have been going for the sexy mummy look. Tommy Hilfiger starts his shmeal about style.  I yelled at my TV and said Ralph Lauren BEYOTCH but nobody responded back.  Did Tommy sales even go up after this show?  No.  This is because nobody is watching American Idol anymore.  Perhaps, Tommy should give Jimmy some clothing tips.  Oh, thats right, he doesnt need to.  Why?  Because Jimmy is worth a half a billion dollars and didnt need fashion tips to get there.




I felt everyone gave a very strong performance last night.  They were able to choose songs that were from 2010 to today; the 2010's, as i call it.  Once again this should be a lesson to the producers.  Nobody wants to hear them sing Beatles, or Stevie Wonder, or Whitney Houston.  Why?  Because nobody is singing that today.  If this is supposed to be a "Pop" show then let them sing pop shit which is what is relevant today.  In other words, sing songs that I have no clue what they are!  :-(


Tyler-ism - Welcome back Steven

Steven finally had his first Tyler-ism when he said to Skyler - "The crows may crow but the hens deliver the goods"  He hasnt said one of these in awhile.  I miss the days of "You can own the car and rev it all day but driving it around is what the devil wants" or "Sticks and stones may break bones but its the bones they break that make you shake" or "Whoever goes in must come out with their head full of cheese" or "You can fast forward in life but its the rewind button that breaks".  Ok so i made everyone of those up except of course the "Crow" one but you get my point.  The man used to drop some fucking really strange no-sense logic to us all but hasnt in awhile until last night.  Welcome back Steven!


Let the singing begin...

Skylar sang a Kelly Pickler song that nobody knew.  Not even Jimmy, who seems to know every song that was ever made.  Nor Randy, who seemed to work with every artist in existence.  When she started singing i got mad because i hate country but she sounded sooo good.  She totally owned that song.  I like how she decided to play the guitar with this song. I always wondered....can you really hear her guitar playing with all the noise from the other instruments?  I highly doubt it. Drop the gimmick and sing!  My grade B. I usually give a NA but this was pretty dam good. I caught myself bopping my head around. 


For the "slow" .. the woman is Hillary Clinton who would be the .. well you know.. 


Side note - Drinking game for next year (i cant drink this season due to the ABC i am currently involved in)  Every time Randy says Dog or Dude.. you gotta drink son. 




Colton sang Love the Way you Lie by Skylar Grey. I did a little research on this song because i always assumed it was Rihanna and Eminem who co-wrote it but no, in fact, it was Skylar Grey, who is the same girl you heard sing in pretty much every rap song that came out last year, who wrote it.  This is why it is credited to her. I don't know if there is a version of her singing it. 
Anyways..  DAMMMMMMMM.  I picked Jessica to win this show and Colton to take 2nd. Man am i pissed. This guy is fantastic.  I got goosies all over my body and I believe i teared at the part at the end when he gave out that loud yell.. Just typing is making me get a tissue.  Well done.  I thought Eminem was going to come out and start rapping in the middle. Booo.   Because of this I am giving Colton a B.. Just kidding.  My Grade A++


What do you think.. Me with the Colton look??  I can totally pull off this look!!


Jessica sang something that i didn't know  A song called Stuttering by Jasmine Sullivan.  I know the artist. Just dont know the song. I thought she did an outstanding job.  The song really showed her range.  It was a perfect choice.  Her scat singing was on point.  Great job!  She is my number 1 so i gotta stick with her. Their is diaper duties on the line!  (referring to the Bart Contest)  My grade A+




Josh sang Runaway Baby by Bruno Mars.  The song is very quick pace. He was, of course, amazing. Fantastic vocals. Great stage present.  It wasn't super over-the-top like some of his prior songs.  The thing about Josh is that he shows such confidence when he sings and his performances.  He really is a great overall competitor. I wish i had some funny things to say about him but everything last night worked with him including that outfit. That was hot!  My grade A+


Side note - Steven tells Josh to get a girls number backstage. ummm.. isnt he gay???  (Disclaimer - not a stereotype assumption.. just an assumption.  Dont hate)  Josh's dad then comes on stage. I am still scratching my head as to why he was there.  Perhaps to show his big ol' crawfish belly?




Duet - Colton and Skyler sang Joshua Aldeen and Kely Clarkson's Dont You Want to Stay, which is a love ballad.  I wanted to stay and listen. It was really good.  There are more rumors flying around about the couple dating. Dont worry.. dannybart.com will have the exclusive if its true.  Colton decided to rock the Edward Scissorhands outfit for this song.  Hey - thats 2 Edward Scissorhand references already!  Nice!! 






Hollie sang Payfect..i mean Perfect by Pink.  I cant figure out this girl's accent. It is soo bizarre.  Regardless she sang Payfect or Perfect or something that wasn't perfect at all.  My opinion is she should have went for a more stronger song. This song was just blah. No real strong points to show off her voice.  Pink has such a unique voice that to sing this in a "normal" girl voice wont work. It will sound very blah which is what it did to me.  She belted out some high notes at the end.. especially that last note but i think the damage is done.  What happened to this girl? I think the mentoring and Tommy Hilfiger got to her.  She was wearing a TuTu for Christ's sakes. Let these fucking kids dress the way they want!   My grade C.  If only Hollie would if she could. 


Seriously Tommy?




Phillip sang a Maroon 5 song. I should know it but i dont.  Booo me. My wife was singing along as she loves the lead singer who ironically is on the show The Voice that is killing American Idol ratings. Go figure.  Prior to the start, Jimmy and friends tell Phillip that he is too flat.  Perfectly stated. I couldnt agree more.  Phillip says he wants to do something different and Jimmy states to not do something different just to do something different. Another great point.  So Phillip comes out and does it his way and for the first time in awhile i liked it.. alot. It sounded really great. The beginning sounded a bit like whiny cats singing playing a blues riff but it picked up and it was really good.  Sounded very Dave Matthews in some parts which isn't a bad thing.  He actually smiled during this permance. Wow! Great job this week.  My grade B+


Side note - Steven compares him to a Steve McQueen - Johnny Cash hybrid.. the audience goes crazy.. do they even know who these 2 people are??


There was a Trio song.. is this called a "Triet". I dont know but it was Hollie, Josh and Jess.  It was bad in my opinion.  Josh killed it but the other girls were like out of breath walking and singing at the start.  Hollie borrowed Stevens feather from his hair and put them on her booobs.  Dam you Tommy Hilfiger!  Some parts of the song were good but other parts was just useless screaming.  Not very good harmonies. 


Elise sang Lady Gaga You and I. Good song choice for her.  She was representing Joizy and we got to see some local Jerseyans being well.. Jerseyans.  Is that the right word?  Jerseyan, Jersey-ite?  She has such a great raspy, sultry sound to her.  The thing i hated was the beginning and it wasn't her singing. It was that thing that they do when they play the piano for 20 seconds and then get up and walk away as if the piano is no longer needed in the song but yet you hear it still playing in the background. What is that??  Elise apparently went with the Black Swan outfit that is making a comeback this spring.   My grade A. Stay Jersey. 


Good Gravy


My predictions

Bottom 3:
Holli
Elise
Skyler


I believe it will be between Hollie and Elise.  I think that Hollie will go home this week.  Elise should stay longer but America hates her. Cant see her being around much longer. And as much as i like her, her sound no way compares to Josh, Jessica and my BFF Colton.  Personally, I think Phill should be in this list but little girls LOVE this man.  We shall see. 


Up Next, Results show.. 









Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...