Thursday, April 26, 2012

American Idol Week 8 - Queen of the night

Wrong Queen??


<-- Queen ruled the night on American Idol last night as the contestants belted out hits from the band as well as their own personal song choice.  It was a night of some amazing singing; maybe the best so far on the show. There was also a missing factor - Jimmy.  Perhaps, this is why they sang so good?  Tommy Hilfiger has slowly been vanishing in the shadows of the advertisement world on the show, as well.  Maybe he realized that nobody is buying Tommy Hilfiger except men in their 50s who clearly don't watch the show.  He will NOT be missed. 













The show starts with a beaten up looking Ryan.  I'm not sure if he got beat up by the bottle of Jack, or his new hairdo, but whatever it was, he lost that fight.  At this point, he is going to have to start paying property tax with that hair.




Is Ryan's hair trying to look like some of these famous dues:





"Nice try Ryan!" - says James Deans ghost


Is that dude to the far right trying to rock the "Ryan"?


If that wasn't enough, Randy's new thing is his pin-of-the-week.  A few weeks back he had Betty Boop, then a duck, then something else.  This week it simply said YO.  How fitting. 


is what he should be wearing


And to the singing... 

Group Collaboration

OK so usually we fast forward during the group songs but this time we decided to give a listen. it was fucking good.  Some of the contestants clearly weren't made to sing certain parts of those songs but overall they did a fantastic job.  It was interesting to hear Phil, for the first time, sing COMPLETELY out of his comfort zone.  It was quite funny.  


Rd1 - Queen Round

Jessica sang Bohemian Rhapsody. Once again, she sings the BIGGEST song.  I felt that she OVERSANG it.  She seriously was trying waaaay too hard.  What was up with the black and white?  Who's fucking brainiac idea was that!!  Then, it went from black and white to color and in steps BeBe Chazz.  BeBe started dancing.  It just didn't work for me.  It still sounded really good.  I just think she tried too hard to sound like Freddy.  She has a lot of growing up to do.  My grade B+ - still sounded pretty fucking awesome though


My Jimmy advice - stop picking such HUGE songs to take on. Everyone knows you can sing them fantastic. I think at this point everyone wants to see something different instead of the big ballad songs. 


Jessicas not worthy



Skyler sang Show Must Go On.  Probably one of the best surprises of the night. She did a really really good job.  I heard NO country at all in that song and that's a great thang (twang on the thang was on purpose).  I think that was one of her best performances.  My grade A+

My Jimmy advice - Good change up from the usual country.  Unfortunately, country is your thang  so stick with it. But changing it up like this reminds people how diverse you are and that you can really really sing. 


Josh sang Crazy Little Thing Called Love.  Forgive me when i say this but i felt it was a "crazy little thing called SHIT".  I just didn't get it.  I felt his vocals were waaaay too high for the melody.  His voice is NOT meant for that song. Perhaps because i know this song too well i am relating too much with the original.. not sure. But i didnt like it.  Some parts sounded good but most of the time it was screaming.  I must have been alone on this because everyone else seemed to love it including the judges.  My grade C

My Jimmy advice - What the hell was that?  Josh took a song and tried to make it his own and this is ok but not with this song.  He needs to take something that you would be like HUH and JOsh it up.  Take it to the church son! 

crazy little thing

Elise sang I Want It All.  As soon as it started i said "I Want Something Else".  What a poor song choice.  She is the only one in the competition who can really really sing this and she chooses this song.  She sounds EXCELLENT but i'd rather hear her sing something more popular and BIG.   BUT.. she did sound great.. great range.. My grade B+

My Jimmy advice - You have the perfect opportunity to show that voice off with a rock song.  Pick a rock song that is BIG.  Choose one of their big hits.  Not something that nobody really heard. I think it was a missed opportunity. 

Phillip sang Fat Bottom Girl.  When i heard that it was Queen night i said immediately "oh boy, cant wait to hear Phillip Phillip Phillip sing".  And when he sang his first notes in teh group collaboration i thought "oh boy, cant wait to hear him sing his solo song".  Then it started..... and it was fucking good.  I really really liked that version of it. Had a cool bluesy feel to it. I just cant look at the guy.  I really feel that medical is going to have to run out and save him one night from an aneurysm.  My grade A - what can i say.. the Phillip is growing on me. 

My Jimmy advice - Being that you didn't have a choice of the type of music, you did a great job.  You took a rock song about fat girls and made it sound sexy and cool.  Great job. Keep it up and you will win back my heart from the auditions. 

I dont think this is making anything go 'round


Hollie sang Save Me. The song starts with "It started with" and i said "It started off like shit".. The beginning was very pitchy and this time she wasn't walking. Then she sang the chorus which is  "Save Me" and i think Jesus did because she did a much better job. Perhaps it was the 30 other people singing behind her that made it sound great. My grade C-


My Jimmy advice - It is most obvious with you when you are out of your comfort zone. You tense up and your voice gets shaky.  Perhaps, read the following blog before each time you sing to help "calm" your nerves.. --> http://www.dannybart.com/2012/04/perineal-massage.html

Rd2 - Choose your own shit

Jessica sang Luther Vandross' One More Chance for her father.  It was a very powerful strong rendition.  It was PHENOMENAL.  I really felt her emotion and felt that she was really NOT oversinging.. even though she was.  It was probably her best song yet.  Really incredible. My grade A+





My Jimmy advice - Once again, you took a HUGE song and sang it perfect.  This SHOULD win you the crown but not on this show.  There were some real emotions that really attached me to the song and this is what she needs to do for the remainder of the show. Take on songs that mean something to you.  Don't pick a HUGE song just cause you know you can kill it.  America's audience knows you can sing but will not pick you because you are a girl and girls are jealous of other girls. Therefore, unless you sing something cool and hip or something with emotion, these girls are gonna tear your ass apart. 






Skyler sang something country.  First verse was very EH for me.  Not that great.  REALLY REALLY emphasized that country twang.. i guess your supposed to.  Chorus was i-ight but once again i dont know how to judge this shit.  My grade NA

My Jimmy advice - I just don't like country. Other than that, you are doing everything right.  Little girls can somehow relate to you BECAUSE your country. Puts you in a whole other category than the other contestants.  Keep doing your thing. 

Side note - Ryan asks Skyler if she has a tatoo.. she says yes and points to her wrist.  Ryan asks what thats about and she says "its a way of god telling me that all my problems are light as a feather".. WTF.. most people would say.. cause its cool dude!!  BTW.. i think Ryan has feather tattoos around his anus because it makes him feel light as a feather when Tito is well ya know.. 


Josh sang India.Arie's Ready for Love.  Ladies and gentlemen..dim the lights and be prepared for what i am about to say.  I was "ready" for love after hearing that song.  It was AMAZING.  His vocals were very very controlled. There was no over the top Josh-esque singing, which i also love, but sometimes he tends to do this type of singing when it is not necessary.  It's a tough call between this song and his last weeks Sam Cook's rendition between my favorite Josh songs.  His last couple notes when he went from high to low just gave me "goosies" while typing this.  My grade - A+  A for amazing. Josh is my new Colton!  I less than 3 Josh!! 

My Jimmy advice - Shit.. just keep doing what your doing.

Elise sang a Jimmy Hendrix song.  It's a hard comparison. Jimmy wasn't a great singer but he did a talk thing when he sang that always sounded cool.  Its hard to say if she sang this good.  I felt that her pitch was great but the song vocals are sort of all the place and if you don't know the song it will sound terrible.  She goes from talking to yelling to singing nicely to singing aaaahhhoohhhoohhh and then to soft again.  I was confused but i dont blame her for the singing.. just with the song choice - My grade C (only becaues of the song choice).  Randy finally hit the nail on the head with his critique saying she 'attacked the song" and jimmy didnt .. i agree.

My Jimmy advice - Elise had 2 HUGE opportunities to SLAY it last night and she didn't.  Her first song shoud have been a huge rock ballad from Queen like "Somebody to Love". I can sooo hear her destroy that last note.  Her second opportunity she picks Jimmy Hendrix.  My assumption is she has played this song with her band before as her guitarist was playing with her which was kinda cool but why not something different. 


Cant pick your berries with your back to the tree - Tyler.  Thanks Steven for making sens of the situation. 

Phillip sang a Dave Matthews song.  I dont know the name of it and i dont think i ever heard it.  But if you've heard one Dave Matthews Band song you've heard them all which is NOT a bad thing by any means.  He said FUCK IT and went with what everyone says he sounds like.  Good for him.  I said  "GOD DAMMMM" out loud when he started singing.  He sounded IDENTICAL to Dave.  It was incredible.  My grade - B+ .. only because he sounds WAY too much like Dave Matthews... 

The judges made some stupid comments about the song choice.  Steven Tyler didn't get it.  At this point, i am really beginning to realize that Steven does NOT know music.  My assumption was he doesn't know the song nor Dave Matthews as he says he didnt get teh sound and it was all over the place with the instruments. But that's Dave Matthews.  That's what makes him good. JLo says something similar but says he should have picked a different song. Something more relevant.  And then finally Randy.. Randy?  comes out and totally says what i was thinking. He loved that Phil came out and did his thing showing the audience the kind of artist he wants to be.  Exactly Randy.  

My Jimmy advice - Jimmy will NOT like this song choice. BUT i am not Jimmy.. just using the moniker.  Everyone, at this point, knows that i am not a fan of this guy, but he did a good job last night.  His second song choice, to me, really proved that he actually is a GREAT singer.  Putting a Phillip twist on a song just doesn't do it for me like it does to the judges.  I cant help but hear the same sound every time he does this.  But hearing him sing something more relevant to his sound totally makes more sense and i respect him ALOT more as an artist. 

Hollie sang Miley Cyrus' The Climb.  Wow.  It was really good.  I felt that her vocals were dead on.  She looked like she owned that stage and dressed somewhat appropriate.  I think the judges at this point are just trying to make this poor girl cry so it was nice to see everyone stand up after her payformance - said in Hollie way.  Good song choice.  Great vocals.  Great recovery. She killed it.  My grade A

My Jimmy advice - Its poppy songs like this that Hollie excels at.  She cant sing shit that came out before she was born.  When she can pick her own songs is when she really does a great job.  Her first round was horrendous but i believe she may have proven herself a bit with that second song.  


Side note - Hysterical when they were making fun of her accent in the gag reels.  Glad someone finally said it. She hase the strangist accent i have ever hayed.  


Who will go home?

I think Elise will be going home tonight.  It will be Hollie, Elise and Jessica in the bottom 3.  Elise will get the boot. She had her shot and she blew it. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...