Thursday, April 19, 2012

American Idol Week 7 - Lady Gaga vs Marvin Gaye



Jimmy and his friends, well, simply Jimmy (he was without friends this week) showcased songs from the 2000s to today as well as another round for Soul mofo singing.  Basically, it was Marvin Gaye, Alicia Keys and Lady Gaga night.   I felt the first half of the show went well. The singers were able to showcase more relevant songs that mean something to them and sing them great. The second part failed miserably, with the exception of Josh and Jessica.   There was certainly a misconnect with the singers and the songs they tried to sing.  




The show started off with Mr. Holland's Opus as they showed, AGAIN, Jessica being voted off and then saved and all the drama that unfolded before and after. ENOUGH already.  Its not the fucking presidential elections.  American Idol stop taking yourself so fucking serious.  At the end of the day you are just another talent show.  Enough with the theatrics. 



Speaking of theatrics, in comes JLo with a dress that looks like something Teen Wolf slashed when he was in the closet with Boof. I couldn't help but look at her boobs, which she suddenly has, and look for a possible nip slip.  Ryan comes out and i swear his hair is going to start needing its own zip code. I mean is he really trying to go for the Brandon 90210 look or is it just me.  Regardless, he did a stand up job by mentioning legendary Dick Clark. There is a lot of "Dick" jokes i can make here but i wont. 


On with the singing

Hollie -  First off, what is up with this girl's accent.  I seriously don't get it.  Is she nevus.. aka nervous?   Is it a British accent mixed with southern US?  Is it a speech impediment?  And speaking of Britsh accents and speech impediments..WTF did the Liverpool soccer dude say?  All i heard was good luck.  I really couldn't make anything else out. 


RD1 - She sang  Adele's Rolling in the Deep. - She SLAYED Adele's song and in a good way.  For me it was PAYFECT aka Perfect.  She really sounded good and seemed very confident. My Grade A



RD2 - She sang Son of a Preacher Man.  Name of the song should have been changed to "Daughter, that can't walk and sing, of a British Man".  The first part of the song was horrendous and pitchy as she walked onto the stage. What is it with this girl when it comes to walking and singing. I cant even imagine if she has to do like a song and dance..Good Lordy Miss Shorty.  I think she was too nervous about falling down the stairs in those heels or America looking up her dress as the cameraman was strategically placed.  I felt like she never got comfortable after this.  Never had full control.    I must say though she finally decided to dress like her age.  Tommy wasnt around last night. Maybe that is why?  My grade C





Colton - Prior to Colton singing, they bring his sister out to remind her that this is where she could have been.  Well played Ryan. Is there a weird brother-sister connection with these 2 or is it just me?  I remember when she got the boot he was crying uncontrollably like he just watched the scene when Hillary dies at the end of Beaches!  Colton decided to color his hair in the front red.. like his sister?.. hmmm.   Dannybart.com is onto the Dixons!!


Umm... Neo from the Matrix called and wants his outfit back!  Good Golly Miss Molly what were you thinking with that thing.  Are cloaks the new Cardigan?  Am i missing something?  I dont see this on Gilt or Park and Bond or Jcrew. Perhaps i am shopping at the wrong places! 






RD1 - He sang Lady Gaga's Bad Romance.  It wasn't bad but it wasnt Colton-esque, aka Dantastic, either.  It was a cool rendition but not to so great.  I felt like he should have just sang something else.  The emo sound to Bad Romance just didnt work that well for me.  But, as always, he showed confidence and looked awesome.  My grade C+ - loses a little for that outfit. His worst performance for me. It was a bad romance for me. 



RD2 - sang Earth Wind and Fire's September. First off, let me start by saying that i hate this fucking song. It is like THEEE Wedding song.. UGHHH. i think i told my DJ to not play this but i think he did anyways..booo..  Having said that, i think that Colton did a great version of this.  This version was much better than his first round version. Perhaps i liked it because I HATE the original and this sounded nothing at all like it. Not sure but the judges hated it.  Who am i to judge. My grade - B


Side note - ummm.. colton plans on expanding his "box" each week.. so does my pregnant wife.. budump bump.. im here all week folks. 



Elise - Jimmy gave Elise some good advice and questioned why she is constantly in the bottom 3. I agree. She has a great voice.  Definetly not the best but its up there. 


RD1 - She sang No One by Alicia Keys. This is sorta my wife and I's wedding song.  Ok Etta James At Last is our official wedding song but No One just came out when we got married and was played 7000 times a day around the pool at our hotel on our honeymoon in St Lucia.  Therefore we have a connection to it.  I definetely felt a connection with her singing it. She always seems to really feel the music and make you forget that she is singing someone elses song.  She did a great job with it.  There was no need for the Mariah Carey 1988 "wind effect' blowing on her but other than that it was a great rendition.  My only complaint about Elise is that she struggles to get the high notes so she does the Casy Abrams scream.  Sometimes it works.  It did a little bit in this song.. but not in Rd2.. Heaven help us.  My grade - B



RD2 - Elise sang Let's Get It On by Marvin Gaye.  She starts it off night but then gets to the first scream in the chorus.. the "let's get it on..  AAHHHHHHH.. " She failed miserably at this reminding me that this is not Marvin singing but some old women named Elise.  She then started what sounded like the music that is played when you enter Hell.  There were Casy Abram screams and out of pitch yells and some nice notes filled in with some strange pitchiness.  I didnt get it. It was bad. The song was just way too big for her. My grade - D





Phil - oh Phillip how i dont love thee.. 


Rd1 - He sang Usher's You Got it Bad.  Actually he got it right.  Sorry.. i had to.  It was a pretty cool rendition.  Again, very Phil still with his flat range but it was good. Nice funky jazz version of the song.  I didn't even think this guy knew who Usher was!  My grade B+  It wasn't as fucking good as the audience and the judges made it seem to be but it was good..


RD2 - sang Wilson Picket's Midnight Hour.   Phil decided to smile and dance for this song.  Unfortuantely, i felt that it was just TOO Phillip for me.  It was too flat with no range.  He stayed here {raising hand at chin level} and never got here {raising hand above head}. He stayed at my chin level the entire time.  I exhibited my Phillip singing ablity to my wife who was either laughing at my dead on imitiation OR my bulging veins shooting out of my reddened face which is exactly Phillip.  My grade C






Jessica - Jimmy tells her that she needs to open up a bit and feel the music.  I sorta agree. I think she should just stop being so god dam good!  Thats her problem. If you look at past seasons, the person who is clearly the greatest singer NEVER wins.  Adam Lambert, Pia, Daughtry, Sanjaya.. kidding of course.  You get my point.  Dumb down a bit.. have fun and you will get the tweens to come back to your aid.  BTW.. i voted 17 times for her yesterday. 


RD1 - Sang Alicia Keys' Falling.  Why were there floating umbrellas?  Was she expecting to fly away? Why is there always strange shit on stage with this girl?  Her voice is so great.  Too bad she is a girl or i'd throw my bra at her.  Rose says "i feel like she is just showing off..instead of you know.. " I couldnt agree more. The "you know" is what she is NOT doing.  Will America feel the same as Rose???  We shall see.  My grade - A



RD2 -  sang Otis Trial of Tenderness.  This is the song from JayZ and Kanye's Otis.. which rules. This bitch can sing anything.  That was PHENOMENAL.  Every week this bitch shows her diversity. She even sang the "NaNaNaNa" part great.  Wowzers!  My Grade - A+
The judges talked to her about singing with emotion.  I agree. Singing a song fantastic with NO emotion sorta seems like you are just showing off.  No relation to the artist with no real emotion.

Otis Redding would be proud.. cricket 


side note - i keep staring at jlos boob looking for a nip..


Skyler - This country bitch is growing on me. I hate country but she does a good job of giving a modern song a Country twist. 


RD1 - She sang Lady Gaga Born this Way... the country version. Ok Ok it was good.  That violinst rocked my world. Who knew playing a banjo can be cool!  She sounded good as always.  My grade - B+



RD2 - Skyler sang I heard it through the grapevine. This was a cool version. There are like 87 versions of that song but this was different.  Brilliant. She sang it great.  Really nailed the vocals.  My grade B





Josh - I really thought this guy was going nowhere, another Jacob. But he certainly proved to be more than just a statistic. He is a FANTASTIC singer.  I seriously think he should win or at least be in the top 3 with Jessica and Colton.  I can listen to his singing all day long. 


RD1 - sang I believe by Fantasia.  She is a huge inspiration for Josh.  This is clearly evident in his singing style which is just like Fantasias.  I hope that Josh doesn't try to off himself like she did though.  Sheesh.  I dont know the original song but once again Josh did a great job. I felt the beginning was WAY better than the middle and ending. I felt he got excited and shouted a lot during the ending but perhaps this is how the song is. Fantasia does shout alot as well.  Still very good... but that beginning really shows how controlled his voice is.  My grade - A


RD2 - sang A Change is Gonna Come by Sam Cook.. 


Side Note - I HEART Sam Cook


Goosies all over.  The beginning was good but his low vocals werent that great.  The chorus was amazing as well as the ending. He got all Josh on us but it worked.. AGAIN..
My Grade - A+.. im gonna bite my tongue and say it.. BUT i think Josh should win this show!!




Bottom 3:
I believe it will be Elise, Holly and a surprising Phil.  I think Jessica will be safe.  I believe that tonight we will see Holly leave us.  Payfect. 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...